Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Exciting news!!

Back again! And I have some exciting news...

A few months ago I entered a writing competition. It was from 5-21 year olds. You had to write a story about "hope". My story was about a girl called Ellie who lived on a horse ranch and really wanted to be a barrel racer in the rodeo. One day her dad brought a quarter horse home from the sale yards (a place where they sell horses, sheep and cattle). But when he rode the horse he said it was too frisky to keep and that he would sell Spirit (the horse). Ellie tried to tell her parents that she could train Spirit to race but they kept telling her to stay away from him. But she didn’t listen to them. Early every morning she would go to Spirit and feed him an apple. Until one morning when her dad sold Spirit. But Ellie didn’t give up.Without anyone knowing she made a deal with Spirit’s new owners that every morning she would come and train Spirit to race in the rodeo....(and that's all I'm going to tell you!)

After I sent my story in it was about six weeks until we heard from the judges. Guess what? I was in the shortlist! Then one week later we heard from them again. Guess what? I was in the finals! 
It is only me and another girl (that I know) in the finals. But the best thing about being in the finals is that you have to go to Australia for the prize-giving dinner!!!
I’m so excited! I’ve never been overseas before. The prize-giving is in Brisbane. 
Also, on the way home from Brisbane me and Mum are flying business class! (We had to because the other planes went from Brisbane to Sydney then back to NZ. That made eight hours altogether.) 
We are going in two weeks. Yippee!!!
………………………........

Have you ever been to Brisbane?
What are some good things to do around that area?

41 comments:

  1. That's super exciting!
    I'll keep my fingers crossed. And no matter whether you'll finish first or second, a trip to Brisbane and a price-giving dinner with your mum will be awesone :)

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that is awesome news!! Congratulations and how exciting! You know what? I am 33, and have never been to Brisbane! Enjoy your time there and especially as you get to share the experience with your Mum :)
      ( First Class.....eeek! so much fun! )

      Delete
  2. Oh Jada!! Well done!! I am sure your whole family is proud of you and I am too! I live in Melbourne but have been to Brisbane and it is really fun there! The other thing that I think is REALLY great is that you get to go with your mum and business class!?? Come on! That is SO cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such exciting news Jada! I have visited Brisbane once for a friends wedding many years ago. We also visited Australia Zoo while we were there, it was amazing! What an amazing and special trip you will have with your mum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Jada, that is super awesome! Go you. Brisbane is a long way to go for dinner :) but worth it aye? The snippet of the story had me hooked. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jada this news is so exciting! Good luck! I will be thinking of you. You must be so proud of yourself :)
    Have an amazing holiday! I'm sure Mum is looking forward to it as well! You'll have to write a blog post to tell us all about it when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!! A trip to Australia is great! It'll be hot and having your mum to yourself will be really nice. Sounds like a great story :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow - congratulations!! I just went to Brisbane, Australia for the first time this year! Can't wait to hear how you go. My daughter would love to be a writer one day too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wahoo!!!! Congratulations! That is really really exciting.. and you totally deserve it! Have fun and good luck!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! That's such exciting news - well done! You will have so much fun, just you and your mum :) I have been to Brisbane once and it was really cool; there is a man-made lagoon which is kind of like a beach...but with concrete under the sand!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Jada! Thats awesome! I went to Brisbane 2 years ago, its a huge city!! But its also very pretty. We went when all the flowers were blooming and it was beautifully vibrant!

    I went on my first overseas trip (to Australia) when I was about your age too, I haven't forgotten it! I hope you have a blast with your Mama! Enjoy! And best of luck with the competition!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well done Jada and how exciting. I live near Brisbane and there's plenty of good things to do. You might enjoy south bank and swimming at the beach they have built there plus they have markets on the weekend. The West End area is nearby Southbank and has lots of little shops including the beautiful Nook on Browning Street where they sell lots of lovely handmade goodies. Hope you have a fantastic trip and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super exciting, Jada! It sounds like you're a WINNER already:0)
    Enjoy the wonderful experience of travel and adventure....maybe it will appear in one of your future books.
    Robin
    New Mexico, USA

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you soooo much everybody.
    Love, Jada

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on being a finalist! And enjoy your trip to Brisbane! I'm pretty sure they have IKEA in Brisbane and I would wholeheartedly recommend that! Something for everyone there :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. How exciting!!! I've never been to Australia or New Zealand! So jealous and happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow!! Jada that's awesome!!! Congratulations! Can't wait to hear how the trip goes.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on becoming a finalist, I hope you enjoy every minute of the journey

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really don't know how to thank you all.
    love Jada

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations Jada! What an amazing accomplishment. All the best for the finals.
    I love Brisbane, it was the first place that I visited overseas too. If you have time you should try and get to one of the theme parks. Dreamworld/WhiteWater World were my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my goodness, that is wonderful! Good on you, Jada! What an amazing adventure you & mum are going to have. Congratulations! There is some ridiculously good Korean food in Brisbane, out in Fortitude Valley - https://plus.google.com/100912170553252438359/about?gl=nz&hl=en - I could have eaten the whole building. I reckon your mum would probably love it :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow, super congratulations. Good luck and enjoy Brisbane. It's such a beautiful city. If you have some time I would recommend visiting Southbank and the Queensland art gallery (gallery of modern art). They have some pretty cool stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, it sounds like a brilliant story! You are so creative and clever. Have a wonderful girls' trip to Brisbane with your mum, and enjoy Business Class (how exciting!). You'll have to write another post when you're home to tell us all about it! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear Jada, This is a wonderful accomplishment. I think it inspires us all to try things and put ourselves out there in new ways. I hope this wonderful experience will whet your appetite to keep writing and pushing yourself to achieve new things. I can only imagine what exciting feelings you must be having and for you and mum to have this adventure together is so special. Treasure every moment. I look forward to hearing about how it goes. What will you wear for the special dinner? I'm sure you and mum will come up with something wonderful with all your talents! Congratulations - keep writing. Miriam x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congratulations on such a fabulous achievement, you must be so proud!
    I know Brisbane well as we lived there for five years until we came back to Hamilton this year. It is so beautiful and warm there at this time of year. My favourite places are Roma St Parklands and Southbank. I also LOVE the Sunshine Coast.
    Have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations, this is wonderful news. I would have trouble sleeping, I would be so excited. I love Brisbane. My sister lives their and we visited last May for her wedding. We kept going back to Southbank, a man made beach in the middle of the city. So no sharks! And the weather is always sunny and tropical. Have a wonderful time. xo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh Jada, I am elated for you! You are such an inspiration. Have a wonderful time here in Oz :)
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such wonderful news! When do we all get to read the story? You and your mum will have such a great time on that trip. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Super exciting!! I'd love to hear about the rest of the story, it sounds amazing. Writing is an awesome talent to be given. Have a wonderful trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Jada, this is BIG NEWS! It's so wonderful how everything has gone and now you and your mum get to go on a special trip (and business class will be so nice!). I'm from Brisbane but we are living way on the other side of the country at the moment. Along the river, opposite the city, there is a stretch of cool stuff: the Gallery of Modern Art and Queensland Art Gallery, State Library then onto Southbank (swimming, shops and places to eat). GOMA usually has really cool things on. Like Bec said, West End is nearby. They have the cheapest eats as well as nice coffee shops, Nook is the sweetest shop, and the book shop there (Avid) is pretty awesome too. If you guys want any more ideas or tips, let me know! I used to live right near all these places just a few months ago.
    Congratulations!!
    Melania

    ReplyDelete
  31. You go girl! You are a gifted writer and an inspiration to other women from 9 to 90! My daughter is also a wonderful writer and entered her first poetry contest at the age of 9. She continues to write wonderful things on her own blog as well. Even here in California I am rooting for you! Good luck! And I can't wait to read the rest of your story. =)
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  32. Jada, that's amazing! Well done from all us Taylors in Katikati. I've never been to Brisbane so you'll have to tell US about all the amazing things you can do there! :) Lucy

    ReplyDelete
  33. You know, I've known your news for a while, but I wanted to comment after some time had passed...because I know you probably had a flurry of these kinds of comments come in over a few days -- very exciting -- but having more continue later? BONUS! I think this is thrilling news, and I am so happy to know you have a family who supports you in pursuing dreams. Go get 'em! You're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  34. wow Jada that's amazing!!! you might be a famous writer one day, hope you have a GREAT time in oz
    from your old kindy friend Summa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow Jada. I'm a friend of your mum and I just saw the news on Facebook and on Rosie Booms site that you won! Big congratulations. I am sure you had a superb time in Brissy with your mum. Keep up the storytelling!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Young lady that is about the best kind of news a young writer can get! Well done! So, I have one question;
    since you wrote the story about the girl and Spirit... is your heart right there riding with her? I used to write
    stories when I was your age too. The difference is, I did it to practice my spelling and my hand writing (still can't spell worth a
    can of beans!!! Lol) and it helped me some. Keep up the good work, don't let anyone ever tell you that you
    can't do something. You just don't know until you try!!!

    ReplyDelete