"Here," Mum passed the infant over into my eager, waiting arms, "you have a cuddle."
As my sister settled into my arms, they drooped from her heaviness. I rocked her to and forth gently.
"Careful" Mum warned, "The cord is still attached,"
And what a cord!Slippery and blueish, it spiraled along from the baby's tummy to the placenta. Danny pointed out the window to the driveway.
"Midwife Claire is here!" he called.
"Right," Dad said with a grin, "go say to her, 'Come see our new sister'."
............................................
"So what's her name, then?" I asked, now knowing what gender she was, I was eager to name her. I couldn't wait for five days like Sawyer's naming. Mum looked over at the rest of us at the table with steaming pumpkin soup for lunch.
"I like Willa Dawn for a girls' name. I've always liked it." she suggested.
"That is such a pretty name!" I cried enthusiastically, "Please can that be her name?"
"I quite like it; Willa Dawn Rolston."
"Sooo..."
"We'll have lunch first," replied Dad, "Dear Lord, we thank You for this beautiful day that is now our daughter's and sister's birthday. Thank You for bringing Willa Dawn into our family safely and well. Please help mummy to get the rest she and Willa need.....In Jesus's Name, Amen."
"So her name is Willa Dawn?!" I instantly burst out. Dad nodded.
As I glanced at my sister Willa Dawn, I sent up a silent prayer of thanks.
Finally, a sister.
As my sister settled into my arms, they drooped from her heaviness. I rocked her to and forth gently.
"Careful" Mum warned, "The cord is still attached,"
And what a cord!Slippery and blueish, it spiraled along from the baby's tummy to the placenta. Danny pointed out the window to the driveway.
"Midwife Claire is here!" he called.
"Right," Dad said with a grin, "go say to her, 'Come see our new sister'."
............................................
"So what's her name, then?" I asked, now knowing what gender she was, I was eager to name her. I couldn't wait for five days like Sawyer's naming. Mum looked over at the rest of us at the table with steaming pumpkin soup for lunch.
"I like Willa Dawn for a girls' name. I've always liked it." she suggested.
"That is such a pretty name!" I cried enthusiastically, "Please can that be her name?"
"I quite like it; Willa Dawn Rolston."
"Sooo..."
"We'll have lunch first," replied Dad, "Dear Lord, we thank You for this beautiful day that is now our daughter's and sister's birthday. Thank You for bringing Willa Dawn into our family safely and well. Please help mummy to get the rest she and Willa need.....In Jesus's Name, Amen."
"So her name is Willa Dawn?!" I instantly burst out. Dad nodded.
As I glanced at my sister Willa Dawn, I sent up a silent prayer of thanks.
Finally, a sister.



So beautifully written Jada! It brings happy tears to my eyes knowing you have a precious baby sister!
ReplyDeleteJada you LEGEND sweetheart - I would be so much poorer without you honey...Love always , Dad
ReplyDeleteJada, such beautiful words! I can hear the pure joy in your heart that you finally have your long awaited beautiful little sister. Willa is already so blessed to have you as her big sister. xx
ReplyDeleteThanks everyone!
ReplyDeleteHow wonderful! I'm happy for you and your family. Having a little sister is pretty cool :)
ReplyDeleteSo gorgeously written x
ReplyDeleteSuch a lovely memory to have written down forever. Beautifully done.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful recount of a magical occasion for your whole family but especially you. She's super lucky to have a big sister who so adores her already. And beautifully written! X
ReplyDeleteWow lucky you! Another girl.. that is magnificent news! She will always look up to you as she journeys through life. You will be her super-sister-hero! Congratulations to you and all your family. Lovely writing.
ReplyDeleteThanks. She was 3 weeks on Sunday. Growing so fast!!
ReplyDeletexx Jada
Congratulations and what a beautiful welcome to the world Jada! So thrilled for you to have a baby sister and you write so beautifully. I hope your Mummy gets lots of rest and wish you and your family lots of happiness x
ReplyDeleteshe is almost 7weeks
ReplyDeleteI have just found this blog. You are a gifted writer, Jada! What a beautiful family you have!
ReplyDeleteRachel
Thanks!
DeleteThis article is in the 'OH!baby' magazine that comes out on the 30th November. Thanks for all your lovely comments:)
ReplyDeletexx J Rolston